Sunday 1 March 2020


January saw me giving three talks, to the Morley Monday Club on Canals and the East Keswick Local History Group, the Castleford Historical Society and Sherburn-in-Elmet Country Womens' Association, all on The Kingdom of Alms, my talk on the history of almshouses.


Originally a talk which was predominantly about Pontefract's almshouses, and as such had a limited interest at venues outside Pontefract, it has now been widened in scope to take in almshouses and their development in other parts so as to tell a better story.

Judging by the positive reception at all three venues it seems I am on the right track.
So if the subject of almshouse might be of interest to your group then rest assured it will not be just about Pontefract.

As well as a generalised over-view of almshouses I always try to include those local to the area I'm visiting so as make in personal to my audience.


The Joseph Crossley Almshouse at Halifax

No comments:

Post a Comment